The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Tax Loss Question Date:  1/17/2003  11:56 AM
Author:  educatedidiot Number:  63043 of 128039

Lets say an investor purchases 10 shares of company XYZ at $50. Over the span of one year, the stock falls to $1. The company then conducts a 30 to 1 reverse split. The net result in this account is that the 10 shares will be removed; however, $10 is deposited in the account to compensate for the value of the shares.

Question: Is this investor able to claim a tax loss? The investor does not have any shares to sell so how would he claim one?

Thanks in advance.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us