The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks A / Apple

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/please-nominate-me-18619792.aspx

Subject:  Please Nominate Me Date:  2/20/2003  11:14 AM
Author:  RodgerRafter Number:  83039 of 209703

Please nominate me for Apple's board of directors, by sending a brief message to investor_relations@apple.com

You can use your own words, or the following:

As a shareholder of Apple computer, I'd like to nominate Rodger Garfinkle to serve on Apple's Board of Directors. He can be reached by email at RodgerRafter@mac.com.

I will be sending in the following message later today, and would appreciate the usual help from this board in refining and editing my message:

Dear Mr. Levinson and Mr. Campbell,

The current Board of Directors is made up of exceptional individuals who offer their own unique contributions, insights and perspective to the company. I believe that I also am an exceptional individual with a unique perspective that would be a valuable addition to the Board. As the current owner of 6400 shares of Apple Computer Inc., I am requesting an opportunity to interview with either of you by phone, email or in person and hope to be included in the next proxy as a nominee for Apple's Board of Directors.

Incorporating a diverse range of ideas and opinions has made Apple a great innovator and leader in the field of technology. I believe Apple will benefit further if more individuals with unique and valuable perspectives are added to the Board of Directors. My own unique perspective comes as the result of:

12 years as a public elementary school teacher
22 years as an Apple customer
5 years as an Apple shareholder
4 years as a member of the Board of Directors of a non-profit organization

As a result of these experiences I have developed important skills as a consensus builder that would enable me to work effectively with the rest of Apple's Board. I recognize that through collaboration, an effective group can achieve far more than any individual. (Indeed, the ability to improve the process of collaboration and the sharing of ideas is true power of the internet and the area where Apple needs to look first as it attempts to develop new products and applications.) Each individual also has unique contributions to make that can make the group stronger. As a prospective director, I envision myself making the following contributions to the Board:

I would reach out to the education community for ideas and insights. As a public school teacher I believe my perspective would enable me to filter and process those ideas and bring the most important ones directly to the Board.

As a shareholder, I would reach out to other shareholders, both individual and institutional, for ideas and insights, empowering them and giving them a greater sense of ownership in the company. Many investors have lost confidence in the Apple and other companies, and I believe I am in a unique position to help restore some of that confidence.

As a long time customer, I understand many of the issues that are important to many of Apple's other customers. Apple already does an outstanding job of soliciting feedback from customers, and I believe that I can help put the vast amount of data collected into perspective for the Board.

One side effect of Apple's current Board being comprised of highly motivated and talented individuals is that these individuals typically have a great many responsibilities that cut into the time they have to perform their duties for the company. Perhaps the most important unique contribution I can make, therefore, is my time.

I am available by email at RodgerRafter@mac.com, phone at (excluded in this post), or by US mail at (excluded) if either of you would like to contact me. I am eager to expand on the ideas in this letter if given the opportunity.

Thank you,

Rodger Garfinkle
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us