The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/no-no-im-really-not-trying-to-argue-with-you-18659961.aspx

Subject:  Re: Splitting or Keeping Mortgage int deductible Date:  2/27/2003  2:35 PM
Author:  ShadoRydr Number:  64134 of 133502

No, No,

I'm really not trying to argue with you per se, perhaps just the position of our govenment (which probably explains why I am a libertarian).

I also just got of the phone with an IRS technical agent during my lunch. According to him, the person who's social security number is on the 1098 (and there will be only one) can take the entire deduction if its decided to do it that way. If you decide to split the deduction, the person who's SS number isn't on the 1098, will need to reference the return of the persons who's number is, in order to substantiate the deduction they are claiming. Since there is only 1 social security number to cross reference, only that persons return is subject to scrutiny. If they decide not to take the deduction, that is up to them.

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us