The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Sports / College Hoops

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/im-from-nashville-18791623.aspx

Subject:  I'm from Nashville Date:  3/24/2003  4:46 PM
Author:  trunks13 Number:  2179 of 11259

Brief notes from Nashville,

Day 1: Xavier vs. Troy St.

Xavier was clearly the better team, although they did put up a good fight. What was surprising was Xavier won easily, without much production from David West, which as a Maryland fan, scared the bejeezus out of me, if Maryland can get buy UNCW. Romaine Sato is a legit shooting guard with a lot of upside.

Day1: Maryland vs. UNCW.

Let me preface this by saying this was perhaps the best game I've ever seen in my life. Goldsberry was un-friggin-believable. I've never seen a shooting display of that sort in my life. Unconscious! Although Maryland was in the verge of losing, I was still happy to see a soon to be classic game in person. It was quite an experience. And when Nicolas hit that fall-away off balance 3, I found myself screaming for a good 5 minutes straight! It's amazing how one shot can turn mere strangers into your best friends, if only for a moment. I was hugging and high-fiving everyone that was around me. Truly a worthwhile experience.

Day2: Maryland vs. Xavier

After the emotional high of beating UNCW on the last shot, I truly expected a letdown. Instead, Maryland probably played as well as I could remember. When Xavier cut it close, I was nervous, but Maryland closed the game nicely. Xavier got a lot of foul calls in the second half, we Maryland fans we're pissed.

Day2: Kentucky vs. Utah

I only stayed until halftime for this one, as I had a 10 hr drive back to DC and from the looks of things, it was going to be a rout...

Celeb sitings:

I had club level seats fgor both days and for the Maryland/UNCW game, Jerry West sat in the luxury box right below my section. We peeked over the front row and saw that he was there on a scouting trip. There were 3 paragraphs in his notebook. One for Blake, one for Nicolas, the last for Blizzard. Ate at the same BBQ place as Michael Wilbon. And it's true, the camera does add 10 lbs. He didn't look that big. Didn't get to meet Ashley Judd at the Kentucky game though, DARN.

Random thoughts:

Maryland didn't travel well for this game, because it was clearly a hostile environment. Even UNCW had more fans there than UMD.

The place was jam packed with Kentucky fans.

Unless you like country music, Nashville seemed pretty bland. Then again, I'm used to going out in NY and DC.

I got back home at 5:30am and slept for about 3 hours. This weekend seemed kinda surreal to me. Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but I'm beginning to wonder if this trip actually happened. Seems like a dream ;-)

Cheers,
T13

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us