The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Dumpster Divers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/score-18824766.aspx

Subject:  Score! Date:  3/31/2003  9:50 AM
Author:  LQueiros Number:  2155 of 2781

DH & I went to meet a friend in NY yesterday for lunch & a play. As we walked to my car for my return trip home, in the rain & snow <will this winter ever end?>, I spotted a cardboard box curbside.

It was for a GE toaster over & appeared to have a toaster oven still inside it. I mentioned it to DH, who sort of rolled his eyes. The box was pretty wet. DF said, "Aw, c'mon, you know she wants it. Pick it up & we'll see what it's like".

Luckily, the car was only a 100 feet away. DH quickly stuffed it in the trunk & pulled it out of the box. It was a small Black & Decker toaster oven. Obviously, the owners had upgraded & set the old one curbside. Except it wasn't that old. Or dirty. DF exclaimed, "Hey, that's even better than the one you bought for me at a yard sale for a $1!".

After letting it dry overnight, I plugged it in this morning. Works like a charm. My MIL had been keeping her eye out for a new yard sale toaster oven since hers doesn't quite work right anymore. One element burned out & the toaster "ding" doesn't shut off the heat automatically. The one she has now was a yard sale purchase for $3 about 8 years ago. I guess I just found her a new one :). It was missing the broiler trays, but it's the same size as her current one, so her current trays will fit it just right.

Laura
it pays to keep your eyes open
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us