The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/joel-the-question-is-not-what-the-quotaverage-18900682.aspx

Subject:  Re: Partial response for Galagan Date:  4/14/2003  7:37 PM
Author:  SloanT Number:  101869 of 888931

Joel:The question is not what the "average investor" can do. Nobody with any sense wants to be "average". I cannot imagine why, when it comes to the stock market, people use phrases like "for the average investor...", as if they are trying to teach you to be average.

I agree. In the report, on page 19, there is a very interesting table that reveals that 43.4% of accounts beat the market over the reviewed time period and 25% of accounts beat the market by more than 6% annually, all net of transaction costs. Furthermore, the top 10% of accounts beat the market by over 18% annually, again, net of transaction costs.

Then consider the CANSLIM method, for example, which nobody here ever wants to discuss here. It is a particular discipline which provides superior results. But CANSLIM, like the other methods, requires some work, and people that are lazy are simply not interested in the work required.

I think CANSLIM is an excellent 'next step' for many here at the Fool because it builds upon Fundamental Analysis by adding a little technical and market indicators to increase your probability of buying the right stock. It does nothing fancy, it doesn't predict the future, but I think it improves the odds.

Perhaps you and I should have a weekly discussion on a different way to invest. I won't pretend to know everything (or even anything) but I do have open eyes.

st
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us