The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/too-much-like-work-18926760.aspx

Subject:  Too much like work Date:  4/19/2003  12:25 PM
Author:  omni100 Number:  102749 of 879825

In the recent excellent post on "The Dark Side of Volunteering", arrete included the statement" <snip> "...just like work, when you are good at something, they just give you more to do."

I have noticed this my whole career. I have worked hard and delivered on my projects, expecting to be rewarded by larger-than-average raises and/or promotions. Don't get me wrong, I have been rewarded, but not commensurate with the efforts I have expended.

What I have noticed, though, is that I just keep getting more (and harder)work -- especially assignments related to cleaning-up after others who have screwed-around on a project and delivered very little of substance or who delivered something that is so messed-up that I have had to basically toss-out all of their work and start from scratch.

Every time that this has happened, I have delivered superb results (to the delight of our customers and my boss)...but it seems like I just get more 'clean up someone else's crap' assignments in return.

What I have noticed, though, is the people who either screwed-up the assignment (or did very little, but talked a lot) seem to be the ones getting rewarded. This may be the classic case of their being 'show horses' thereby getting the good food (e.g., pay and promotions) and me being a 'work horse' and just getting more work as a reward for my efforts.

Any suggestions on how can I change this -- short of personality transplant <grin>?

I'm about 2-1/2 years away from qualifying for an 'early out' retirement package -- which gives me a pension that will cover about 1/2 of my living expenses in retirement (plus a co-pay medical insurance plan).

I'm in line for another promotion (which is the 'big carrot' that my boss keeps dangling in front of me) -- which would sweeten the retirement pot even more.

I'd love to start doing more of intercst's 3-for-1-type activities, but I just keep getting larger and tougher assignments (with very short timeframes to get them done)....and, being the person I am, I just 'put my shoulder to the grindstone' and get them done.

Aalso, I work for a Fortune 500 company that is going through some real tough times right now, so I don't want to appear to be a slacker (for fear of being put on the next 'reduction in force' list).

omni

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us