The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Two questions for a self-employed friend Date:  4/22/2003  1:44 PM
Author:  pmarti Number:  65138 of 128039

If amended returns are to be filed for 2000-2002, then all 3 years of TurboTax are needed.

This isn't correct. Any year's program can prepare a 1040X for that year or earlier years. As I posted before, the process can be tricky if you don't have the original return in a TurboTax data file. You should be certain you understand the process of preparing an amended return well enough to know whether the program is preparing it correctly or not.

It's not often that I disagree with Ira, but there's no way I'd try to do an amended 2001 return through any program other than a 2001 program, regardless of the fact that it can be done.

Every program I've ever used handles amended returns the same way:

1. Create a correct return.
2. Open the 1040-X and input the numbers from the original return.

Without the program for the year being amended, all entries and calculations other than addition and subraction would have to be manual, in which case I think it's easier to just get the blank form and do it.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us