The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: 1031 exchange Date:  4/23/2003  3:19 PM
Author:  lorenzo2 Number:  65145 of 131230

You can certainly take $25K of the profit and buy a parking space, but I expect you're gonna pay taxes on all $50K. A 1031 exchange normally requires that you exchange property for like property, and moreover the property has to be in productive use in a business. So you could acquire another rental condo or a small apartment building in an exchange. Unless you're planning on erecting a tent in the parking space and renting it out as low cost housing, I don't think this will fly as a 1031 exchange.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us