The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: 1031 exchange Date:  4/23/2003  4:02 PM
Author:  WPatch Number:  65147 of 133118

You can certainly take $25K of the profit and buy a parking space, but I expect you're gonna pay taxes on all $50K. A 1031 exchange normally requires that you exchange property for like property, and moreover the property has to be in productive use in a business. So you could acquire another rental condo or a small apartment building in an exchange. Unless you're planning on erecting a tent in the parking space and renting it out as low cost housing, I don't think this will fly as a 1031 exchange.


All domestic rental real estate is considered like kin(land. warehouse, residential real estate) so I understand a parking space if used for rental would qualify. As always, if the exchanged properties are diverted from productive or rental use to personal use, it could invalidate the 1031 exchange.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us