The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Dumpster Divers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/meet-some-fools-find-some-treasures-18959171.aspx

Subject:  Meet Some Fools, Find Some Treasures Date:  4/25/2003  1:36 PM
Author:  LQueiros Number:  2184 of 2789

Last Saturday I had the pleasure of getting together with Wonderpup, Mrs. 'Pup & 2gifts just outside of Boston. We had a great time, talked for hours & enjoyed dinner.

After I left the restaurant & headed back to my car, I spotted some curbside castoffs. Buried in a box of full of discarded coffee mugs & other decrepid kitchen items was a solid cast iron skillet & griddle.

The skillet is 10 1/2" & says "Wagner's Original 1891 Castiron Cookware". The flat griddle is unusual - it's about 10 1/2" round, with just a very low lip. It looks perfect for making pancakes, crepes, tortillas, etc.

Obviously, someone had no CLUE what they were throwing out as they appear to have taken a rotary sander to the skillet in attempt to remove that "nasty" black gunk. Ack! They tried to sand away the seasoning of the cast iron that gives it that lovely non-stick quality! Similar skillets are selling for $10-$20 on EBay. I can't even find anything like the old round one.

I oiled & seasoned them in a hot oven for an hour last night. The skillet is a good addition to the one I have. My current cast iron pan is a little smaller & has a wood handle. I can't put it in the oven if I needed to. 'Course it only cost me 50ยข at a yard sale (it was brand new too).

I'll be experimenting with homemade crepes now. I think it will be a good suprise when my friend from Brittany, France comes for a visit (crepes originated there, dontcha know?).

As they say, one man's castoffs are another man's treasures. Looking forward to a few good meals out of those pans....

Laura

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us