The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: planning for capital gain in 2003 Date:  4/26/2003  9:56 AM
Author:  lorenzo2 Number:  65178 of 132995

You need to have 112% of your 2002 federal taxes withheld or paid as an estimated tax payment to avoid underpayment penalties.

This is incorrect. As I make it, cabinmama's 2002 AGI was well under 150K, so safe harbor (to avoid underpayment penalty) is 100% of 2002 taxes. This year's (2003's) AGI may exceed $150K, in which case next year's safe harbor would be 112% of 2003 tax...

Otherwise, debra's comments are accurate. And losses from the sale of stock can indeed help to offset the real estate gain.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us