The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  residency requirements for state taxes Date:  4/28/2003  2:39 PM
Author:  Mary1122 Number:  65203 of 131788

My daughter is moving to California next month, where she has a paid internship lined up. Since her stay there will be temporary (one year), she plans to retain her Maryland residency (driver's license and voter's registration). Should she plan on paying state tax to CA or MD?

Hubby works in DC as a commuter and pays MD tax (kind of a sore point for DC, but that's another story), so I assumed that daughter would pay MD tax. But maybe her having an apartment in CA makes a difference?

Any pros/cons to just changing her residency to CA?

I don't think the following info will make a difference, but just in case:
1. She's 22.
2. Since internship is through her college (in Texas), they will continue to have her registered as a full-time student. (I checked on this for medical insurance purposes.)
3. Hubby & I will continue to put her as a dependent on our 1040's for '03 and '04.

Thanks in advance,
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us