The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: residency requirements for state taxes Date:  4/28/2003  4:17 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  65209 of 131363

My daughter is moving to California next month, where she has a paid internship lined up. Since her stay there will be temporary (one year), she plans to retain her Maryland residency (driver's license and voter's registration). Should she plan on paying state tax to CA or MD?

If she earns money in CA, she will be paying CA income tax, regardless of where her residency is. If she maintains a MD residence as well, she will pay MD tax. Although I am not familiar with MD tax laws, I would assume that MD will allow her to take a credit for some or all of the tax she pays to CA.


Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us