The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: residency requirements for state taxes Date:  4/28/2003  4:55 PM
Author:  pmarti Number:  65210 of 131788

My daughter is moving to California next month, where she has a paid internship lined up. Since her stay there will be temporary (one year), she plans to retain her Maryland residency (driver's license and voter's registration). Should she plan on paying state tax to CA or MD?

She will definitely pay CA income tax on her CA earnings. I'd suggest checking the MD instructions about residency, especially when the spouses don't both live in MD. (Were the state KS, she would remain a KS resident for income tax since she intends to return.)

CA may want to quibble with her plan to retain a MD driver's license and registration if she's going to be there a year. She should check the DMV website. (You can get to any government website starting from

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us