The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/heres-what-i-have-so-far-1-income-earned-in-18979166.aspx

Subject:  Re: residency requirements for state taxes Date:  4/30/2003  1:25 AM
Author:  Mary1122 Number:  65230 of 131788

Here's what I have so far:

1. Income earned in California is subject to CA tax regardless of residency. Most states have similar requirements. Pro athletes, for example, have to pay taxes in a lot of states every year, wherever their team has a game. DC does not have this requirement, but they're the exception.

2. Income earned while a resident of Maryland is subject to MD tax regardless of where earned. A resident has a "permanent home" or "maintained or occupied a place of abode" in MD. Doesn't say anything about driver's license or voter registration, so my interpretation is that since daughter does not own or rent property in MD, and won't be occupying my house either, she is not a resident for tax purposes.

Since she will have CA income, and no MD income, my recommendation to her will be to pay tax in CA and not even file in MD.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us