The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/just-cause-im-an-architect-and-i-have-to-tweek-19052718.aspx

Subject:  Re: Self Storage as an Investment Date:  5/15/2003  6:25 PM
Author:  nmckay Number:  107291 of 888222

Just cause I'm an architect and I have to tweek everything, I'll offer a two-fer that might be worth checking out.

Everyone of those storage buildings has a sloped roof. Why not slope them optimally, and put photovoltaic cells on the south facing rooves. You could start small just adding enough to pay for your lights and if you're energetic (sorry for the pun) you could be a net seller of power to the grid. You don't need batteries. You sell power during the day (when its expensive most places) and buy it at night (when its cheap most places. The PVs will last longer than your rooves.

The rule of thumb is that you pay $10,000 for a panel array that will deliver 1KW/hr. However, you can usually get state or federal rebates for this kind of stuff. Some utilities will help you as well. You could roll the PV cells into your construction loan and have free energy. Then the thing really is a money tree. Starve an Arab and FIRE, too.

<cue evil laugh>

nmckay
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us