The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/workwayless-says-couple-of-commentsquestions--19060063.aspx

Subject:  Re: Self Storage as an Investment Date:  5/17/2003  12:22 PM
Author:  golfwaymore Number:  107543 of 888229

workwayless says,

Couple of comments/questions

- You could make the location close to your house. This seems like a good idea for any business that ER is considering to participate in hands-on.

- The combination of low land and construction costs made building from scratch an attractive combination. I'm curious. Did you look into any existing for-sale SS to see how they stacked up against building new? If so, do you think this is still a good investment even if you buy an existing business?

That would be a nice set-up workwayless. The storage units are very simple, no doubt they'd be sweet to have across the street, or within walking distance.

I DID look into purchasing existing units, well, there was one that was for sell by a gentleman with health problems. I had the following problems with it:

1. Asking price was outrageous, my quotes were telling me that I could build my own for less than half that price.

2. It was huge, bigger investment and time requirement than what I was interested in.

3. It was in the next town over, 15 miles and lotsa traffic, and as you pointed out, having these things close by is nice.

Golfwaymore

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us