The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ltltwith-a-10000-outlay-it-would-take-19060352.aspx

Subject:  Re: Self Storage as an Investment Date:  5/17/2003  2:28 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  107568 of 888222

<<With a $10,000 outlay, it would take nearly 12 years for that thing to pay for itself.

With a $20,000 outlay, [which I believe is what would be required], it would take over 20 years.

Assuming that space demand stays the same or increases, I'd be better off to put the money in more storage units, pay the power company for their power, and let the units pay for themselves in 3 years.

What did I miss?

Golfwaymore
>>

You missed out on making an inefficient "green" investment. The world is full of them, usuaully subsidized by the government or with higher prices being subsidized by consumers who have no choice.

You analyze the payback above like a businessman. From what I see, environmentalists frequently start with the desired outcome and then go back to look for ways to rationalize the desired outcome so they can get what they want at someone else's expense.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us