The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/goofyhoofy-writes-finally-i-know-a-couple-of-19062544.aspx

Subject:  Re: Self Storage as an Investment Date:  5/18/2003  12:46 PM
Author:  intercst Number:  107693 of 888207

Goofyhoofy writes,

Finally, I know a couple of people who rent "climate controlled" for their RV's; in that way they don't have to "winterize" and put the RV in deep storage for the winter, blow all water out of all the pipes, antifreeze the pipes and drains, etc, and the rig is ready to run at a moment's notice. We don't bother, mostly because we pay $40 a month and those guys pay over $200 for the CC privilege. (There's also a sense of greater security, since ours sits outdoors and theirs is inside. We had a roof leak over the winter, which would not have been such an issue if we were indoors, as if there's a leak when you're in the rig you catch it before a lot of damage is done; I go once a month in winter to run the engine, roll the tires and charge the batteries, so a fair amount of damage could have happened.)

<snip>

Security was a paramount concern to me, and I kept the rig in our driveway for a year until a space opened at this lot. (I investigated 6 or 7, but was not happy with the fencing, access, or other provisions. I suspect I would not have rented from GWM, as RV's are an attractive target; most have VCR's, TVs, microwaves, and other snatchables inside, and the bad guys know it. My lot has a high wall, chain link fence with an angled barbed wire topper, automatic gate with individualized PIN, and is well lit. The rig is also not visible from any street; in fact you can't tell it's there until you're inside the perimeter. [GWM's interesting point about "inside jobs" noted.])

Jeez, owning an RV sounds like even more of a hassle than owning a home. <grin>

intercst
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us