The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/dave-comments-sounds-good-but-the-area-around-19069444.aspx

Subject:  Re: Self Storage as an Investment Date:  5/19/2003  9:53 PM
Author:  golfwaymore Number:  107989 of 888207

Dave comments,

Sounds good, but the area around here is saturated with self-storage places (phone book survey, six pages of SS rentals). Almost all had some kind of offer to pick their place instead of someone else's; that tells me the competition is fierce. Unless I could just buy one, I wouldn't want to build a new one; too expensive. >>

We just got our new phone books today, so I checked the Yellow Pages for our area. Fourteen (14!) full pages of ads. Many of them full page ads. Most of the rest were half and three quarter page ads. And yes, there are lots of incentives to move in.

Thanks for your comments Dave.

I have no idea if 6 pages or 14 pages of Yellow Page ads is alot for your area, not knowing the population and other demographics.

But as I mentioned in my post, first glance here [such as in TYP] would suggest the same as it did to you and your brother.

Further investigation, however, showed that true enough: There are *houses* and then there are *dog houses*, and most of the units in my area are/were *dog houses*.

Check the details of your area, the niche may or may not be filled.

Golfwaymore

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us