The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: 401(k) and IRAs Date:  6/18/2003  10:30 AM
Author:  Mark0Young Number:  36570 of 90540

I think since you have a 401K, you are not eligible for a regular IRA.

This is NOT true!

If you participate in a 401(k), 403(b), or some other plans, the income limit at which you can deduct contributions to a Traditional IRA goes down quite a bit. Yes, for most full-time workers, the result is that one cannot deduct contributions to a Traditional IRA. However, one can still contribute to a Traditional IRA and file Form 8606 with one's 1040 to preserve one's "tax basis" in that IRA so one wouldn't be taxed again on the after-tax contributions. (All this is assuming that one isn't 70.5 years old--Traditional IRAs have a maximum age at which one can contribute.)

Generally, though, contributing to a Roth IRA is preferable to making non-deductible contributions to a Traditional IRA.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us