The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Diabetic Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-am-a-type-ii-diabetic-who-was-doing-very-well-on-19280837.aspx

Subject:  Re: Board Guidelines Date:  7/4/2003  3:19 PM
Author:  WilliamChrisman Number:  107 of 2920

I am a Type II diabetic who was doing very well on an oral med. (Avandia) until I had a case of pancreatitis (infection of the pancreas) that came out of nowhere. I'm not a drinker (often associated with pancreas problems) or a smoker, or overeater, etc.

Now, I take 4 insulin shots a day (one before each meal, Novolog, short term duration) and Lantus at bedtime which is a long lasting insulin. I feel like a pin cushion sometimes.

I usually only get up once a night and use tight control on my carbs. I limit myself to about 40 carbs per day. Every once in a while I will have an "insulin reaction", a precipitous drop in blood sugar, and eat a couple of glucose tablets. I have a family history on both sides of diabetes so come by it with a genetic predisposition for the disease. Unfortunately, this is a progressive disease which has caused neuropathy in my feet, especially toes. I also have my vision checked regularly by an opthalmologist to check for bleeding which can lead to blindness; but so far so good.

Good Health to All,

WC

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us