The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Diabetic Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/if-you-dont-have-a-hang-up-about-taking-19318865.aspx

Subject:  Re: Surfin' under the limit Date:  7/14/2003  1:04 PM
Author:  SDMcR Number:  173 of 2868

If you don't have a hang-up about taking medicine, and a lot of people do, you might ask your doctors about being started on a statin (Lipitor, Zocor, Pravachol, etc.) for primary prevention of heart disease. Statins also seem to lower the C-reactive protein - CRP - that is strongly correlated with higher risk of heart disease, though the cause and effect mechanism isn't yet known. Talk to your doc about side-effects like elevated liver tranaminases (always checked for because of seriousness but rare), and myopathy or intense muscle aches that indicate muscle break down which can occur with these drugs.

ab - I take Lipitor myself for primary prevention

The last time I saw my dr. he suggested both a statin and a medication to lower my bp as preventive measures. I did balk at both. The bp meds don't concern me too much, but I am not sure about statins. I also live with FMS, and possibility of more muscle pain is REALLY a concern for me.

Susan

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us