The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Self-Employed Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/sp-interesting-comparison-one-ive-never-thought-19329348.aspx

Subject:  Re: Requesting Marketing Help Date:  7/16/2003  2:18 PM
Author:  PrrpleGrrl Number:  7842 of 15018

SP,

Interesting comparison, one I've never thought of. You're correct, though, we do need our first 12 disciples. We've given friends and family free memberships, and we're offering new customers 1/2 off registration fees (saving them $12.50) for joining before August 18.

We've also considered giving the first meeting free, but we worried about that creating kind of a bait-and-switch feeling in the customers. Not only that, but we felt that by doing it for free, it would create a lower-quality image of the company. Those concerns might be totally bogus, of course, since I only know what books have told me.

I truly believe the market is there, if I could just reach it. I've taken some very informal polls around town, and most everyone who hears about it thinks it's a great idea and why hasn't it been done yet? There's a local low-carb store that's passing out our flyers. There's also a low-carb food manufacturer in town. Both of these places have told me they get asked quite often if there's a local support group for low-carb dieters.

So maybe I should just go walking along the seashore, looking for scraggly guys working on their boats. :)

PrrpleGrrl
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us