The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Diabetic Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ditto-most-body-building-magazines-ive-read-19388373.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Low Carb/Supplements Date:  7/29/2003  4:23 PM
Author:  tedhimself Number:  221 of 2885

Ditto, most body building magazines I've read tell body builders to take in atlest one gram of Protein per pound of body weight to increase muscle mass.What gives??

One gram of protein contains 4 calories. If a 150 pound person followed this, then he/she would take in 4 x 150 = 600 calories.

A very rough rule of thumb says that a moderately active person will burn about 9 to 10 calories a day per pound of body weight. So lets say our hypothetical person needs about 1500 calories to maintain his/her weight normal active weight plus whatever number of calories is taken off with exercise.

What percentage of your diet do you want to satisfy with protein, with carbohydrate, with fat?

Let's say our person was working out quite hard and using up 500 extra calories per day for a total need of 2000 to maintain body weight. This puts him/her at 600 calories of protein divided by 2000 calories needed which equals a diet of 30% protein.

What do you think? Is this about the right amount of protein?
Most books I have seen say that we should have about 30% fat. That leaves about 40% to come from carbohydrates.

I'm just playing with numbers here to see what seems reasonable.
Ted

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us