The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  old 401k -> ira or 403b? Date:  8/24/2003  2:45 PM
Author:  007wiseFool007 Number:  37013 of 90110


I have a 401k from a former employer. I want to move that money into a new account. The choices that I think I have are:

1. To rollover it into an IRA:

2. To rollover it into a Roth IRA:

3. To transfer it into a 403b account

One question concerning all the 3 options is: Are the rollover amounts counted in the current years' contribution limit of the account they are rolled into (eg, if I rollover $2000 from old 401k to roth ira, can I contribute an additional $3000 this year, or can I do only $1000)?

My 401k is pre-tax, so between the IRA's the natural choice would be a traditional ira. But I am leaning towards a roth ira because I think I can use the money better when if I purchase my first house ($10k max withdraw). So, if I do a transfer into a roth ira, then will I have to pay taxes now (401k was pre-tax)?

All this stuff is so confusing. These are a lot of questions, the answers will help in clearing a lot of concepts. I would appreciate any help!

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us