The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Books & Writing / Aspiring Writers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/gtgtgtgtwhen-writing-your-self-published-19535066.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question about Writing Programs Date:  9/3/2003  1:02 PM
Author:  Chapman208 Number:  2341 of 4871

>>>>When writing your self published book, what word processing program do you use and why.

Spence: Forgive me if this is off-topic, as I'm not self-published. But It seems the reasons for using a particular WP would be the same whether someone is self-published or planning on being commercially/traditionally published.

I went with MS Word for my book for one simple reason: That's what most business people use for word processing, which means most businesses have it; if not on every desktop, at least on some. This means that it is unlikely that I would sent a manuscript to a publisher that can't open the file and read it (assuming that they take electronic submissions, either initially or after reading the printed version). If I were to use a wonderful, yet relatively unknown WP, there is a good chance the publisher wouldn't be able to do anything with it in its native format, so what's the point.

From a self-publishing standpoint, if someone is planning on releasing the document as a PDF file, Word integrates wonderfully with Adobe Acrobat. All it takes to create a PDF file is to click on the Acrobat icon on the Word toolbar and give the file a name. It couldn't be simpler.

Word offers a number of features to "pretty up" a document (borders, clipart, fancy fonts, "word art" and the like), but I don't normally use them. They might be more useful for a self-published work, where the author would be trying to make the document look fancier.

I don't know that this post helps any, but maybe it'll serve as a starting point: all the reasons to pick something other than MS Word.... <g>

Mark.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us