The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Books & Writing / Aspiring Writers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/mark-quotgtgtgtgtwhen-writing-your-19543876.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question about Writing Programs Date:  9/5/2003  9:37 AM
Author:  sturne01 Number:  2355 of 4871

Mark:

">>>>When writing your self published book, what word processing program do you use and why.

Spence: Forgive me if this is off-topic, as I'm not self-published. But It seems the reasons for using a particular WP would be the same whether someone is self-published or planning on being commercially/traditionally published."'

I'm showing my ignorance here...I've not published a "book." In my small section of the word, most of the book authors I know are moving toward, some have already done so completely, self-publishing. The bank for dollars seems to be greater, and the author has more control over the design of the book and marketing.

One example I've heard from a friend who has a bunch of self-published books: He wrote a book on how to build a Pole Barn (I'm not totally sure if it was a pole barn or log cabin...it's hell getting old), and sold all rights for the princely sum of $5,000, which at the time was the largest payment he'd every received. That book was published in the '70s and is still selling for the publisher. It was the last book he sold all rights, and sparked his self-publishing business he and his wife how run and control.

I use WP as apposed to Word; have both, but hate Word. I end up translating from WP to Word, when I transmit articles to my editors, because all of them has Word, and many can't translate WP docs. And, I suspect that most writers use Word; but there seems to be other programs being used by self-publishing authors.

Anyway, this has been a good thread and I thank all of you for your inputs.

Now back under my rock.

Spence

P.S. I sure wish the Fool Boards had spell checking...I can't spell or type worth a damn.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us