The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Books & Writing / Aspiring Writers

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/gtgtgteons-ago-i-set-up-a-translation-19553661.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question about Writing Programs Date:  9/8/2003  11:57 AM
Author:  Chapman208 Number:  2358 of 4871

>>>Eons ago, I set up a translation between the word processor I had at the time (DisplayWriter) and the publisher of our training manuals.

ILC: Do you actually mean the dedicated DisplayWriter machine, or the DisplayWrite software for the PC? They're both pretty ancient, but I believe the hardware died out several years before the software.

>>>>I write in emacs, these days xEmacs, and format with my own generic formatting codes which can then be used to translate the text according to the format of the receiving platform.

You could probably make a lot of money developing a series of import/export filters to convert from one WP format to another. There are several companies that supply filters to all the major WP vendors, and all of the filters suck. I have tried to convert to/from Word, WordPro and several Linux WPs, and always there were significant deficiencies. (Tables of contents were lost, or everything past page 2 disappeared, or all highlighting changed or was lost, etc.) I have yet to be able to convert to/from Word without having to manually clean something up. As usual, I'm sure the problem is Microsoft's reluctance to open the kimono (and reveal the secret codes within), so the filter developers have to guess how MS does things in the program, and frequently guess wrong.

Mark.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us