The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/the-father-slowly-smiled-and-said-quotwelcome-19670669.aspx

Subject:  Re: Repubs vs Dems Date:  10/5/2003  2:04 PM
Author:  MrsFourStarDave Number:  126176 of 882496

The father slowly smiled and said, "Welcome to the Republican Party."

And the daughter kept working hard and getting good grades but the father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at exactly the moment when his pension stopped coming due to the incompetence of the managers of the company from which he'd retired early.

He was man enough, even with the ravages the disease had taken on his brain not to take up the dreaded "leftie" phrase, "It isn't fair, s'not my fault" when he could no longer afford medical treatment and ended up homeless.

The daughter considered helping the old man, after all, she was by now a partner in a law firm and making way more money than she could ever spend, but really, what kind of lesson would that set for her children, Ayn and Ayndrew Rand who were finally grasping the tough love/reap what you sow of "hey it's my money, and it ain't my fault you didn't plan better."

She still thought fondly of the old man, and when her husband left her for a hot member of the ACLU, she smiled at dad's advice to pre-nup the guy back in the day. So the deadbeat ex-husband and kids (who were really interfering with her career anyway) would be on their own now. Serves them right for preferring the company of an aspiring novelist and his pinko new wife to the wealth she had amassed through her own talents and the good fortune to have been born in the land of opportunity.

Skipping into her corner office one day, she was amazed to find that the senior partner's nephew had co-opted her position and she, having learned from long dead addle-brained daddy, did not say that it wasn't fair that all her hard work had now landed her on her middle-aged butt. Her golden parachute would keep her warm and as she stepped over homeless people (who probably all have town homes in Florida or spend the money they receive from soft hearted folk on drugs and alcohol) to get to the trendy bar on the corner, she knew that all wasn't lost. She had a few drinks and on the way home she ran into Mary, her old college roommate, now a successful Independent Filmmaker. Mary mentioned that she was shooting a film about corporate raiders and needed a legal consultant for the flick. But her old roommate, who by now had spoken via cell phone to seven headhunters not at all interested in hiring a 40+ woman who'd been dismissed from her last position, wasn't going to beg, she merely stated her impressive credentials. Mary was cordial but nonplussed. "I'd love to help a sister out, but frankly, I only hire people with positive energy, people who energize me and make the picture a more positive experience."

What leftie/new age crappola. The daughter, who still referred to herself that way as her relationship with abandoned late father was the only one she could remember without feeling loss and regret. She was jobless and couldn't make anyone understand that she was willing to work hard. Unemployable and undateable at 40, a mom whose children wanted nothing to do with her and who had never wanted the distraction or bother of friends, she sat down on a park bench next to a homeless man. The man had clearly seen better days, he was reading a dog-eared copy of Ulysses and did not hesitate one moment before offering half his cheese sandwich and the last swig of beer to the daughter. She hadn't until that moment realized how hungry, thirsty, and lonely she had been. She also realized she hadn't checked her stock market holdings all day. Maybe it really didn't matter that she continue to lord it over those with less. And maybe there was something to this reaching out and helping those perceived as needing something we could give. This man was giving at great cost to himself, unlike the money she could have offered her father years ago, which she never would have missed. Like the Grinch at Christmas, her heart swelled and she turned to the man with tears in her eyes and tried to find the words to thank him.

"Don't go there." he said. "Just remember this next time you have a chance to be a human being instead of a judge of the worth of your fellow man."

She bowed her head in prayer and thanks.

"Oh, and one more thing", the man added, "welcome back to the Democratic Party."

MrsFourStarDave
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us