The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/life-is-not-black-and-white-in-fact-if-one-19674461.aspx

Subject:  Re: Repubs vs Dems Date:  10/6/2003  2:57 PM
Author:  tngirl74 Number:  126377 of 882486

Life is not black and white. In fact, if one could measure what we really do know about life, it would be like comparing a teacup of water to the ocean. All we know and have is what we've been taught, and that seems to be very little indeed. - Art

How is it that the world/reality is not black & white? What has changed since the first human became conscious of his surroundings? To survive, we have to eat and maintain a reasonable body temperature while breathing oxygen. That's it. Man lived with a hand to mouth existence for thousands and thousands of years. Is my life somehow different from his because I have a dishwasher and SUV?

Avoiding bacteria, viruses and critters bigger and stronger than we are is also beneficial. I have never understood where the gray area is that everyone is always referring to? Isn't that just another way of saying, "You have to decide how you are going to live your life."

On my 18th birthday, my daddy told me, "From here on out, it's all by choice." It has been. Every choice I've made has determined who I've become (and yes, I have called 1-800-DADDY several times). And I certainly didn't make all the right choices, but I know/knew I'm not omniscient. Only hind sight is 20-20, but where is the gray in choice? That is just as black and white as it can be. I know I must be missing something in my thinking process, but what is it?

Why is my teacup so different from your ocean? You only get gray by mixing black and white.

tngirl
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us