The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/can-you-do-both-i-know-that-you-cant-do-a-roth-19677043.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth IRA + SEP-IRA Date:  10/7/2003  7:03 AM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  67097 of 131117

Can you do both? I know that you can't do a Roth + Traditional IRA in
the same year, but can you fund both a SEP-IRA as well as a Roth
in the same year?

You know wrong. You can contribute to both a Roth and a traditional IRA in the same year as long as the total contributions don't exceed $3000 ($3500 if age 50 or more). Why anyone would choose to split their contribution between Roth and traditional, however, is a separate question -- one which I can't find a credible answer to.

A SEP-IRA is a hybrid account. It consists of an employer contribution (the SEP portion) grafted onto a traditional IRA. You, as employer, or your employer (if you are an employee) can contribute a percentage of profits to the SEP-IRA. You, as employee, can contribute up to $3000 (or $3500) to the same SEP-IRA account, or to any other IRA account you have.

Full details can be found in IRS Pub. 590, Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs). You can get it here: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590.pdf

Ira

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us