The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/he-said-that-since-he-would-have-to-calculate-in-19681216.aspx

Subject:  Re: Low-ball estimate? Date:  10/7/2003  9:34 PM
Author:  Frankp12 Number:  41709 of 140317

He said that since he would have to calculate in the cost of trim based on his measurements, he would call us the next day with an estimate. Well, he called and gave my DW an estimate of $150! She asked if that was for both doors, thinking maybe that was just the storm door. He said, "Oh yeah, I forgot about the storm door. Add another $25." So his total estimate is for $175

I got some work done from a "low-ball" quoter to have the tiles and wall booard replaced and regrouted behind two shower stalls and the tile regrouted on a few others. The quote was for $ 500. I was told to expect to pay up to $1000 to do just one wall board replacement job from a tile guy at Home Depot. The guy who actually did the work didn't speak any english but he sure was a craftsman. It was far better than expected! If the company or person has been around for a while and has some good references it probably is worth a try.
- Frank
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us