The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/1-do-you-live-in-a-newer-home-or-an-older-home-19681728.aspx

Subject:  Re: Low-ball estimate? Date:  10/7/2003  11:53 PM
Author:  dsemmler Number:  41713 of 140290

1. Do you live in a newer home or an older home? Sometimes that can
make a difference in the amount of work to switch something like
a door or window.

Our home is approximately 8 years old now.

2. Is you current entry a door with sidelites? If so, it shouldn't
be too much of a job to switch it out.

Yes, our current entry door also has sidelites. Essentially the doors are the same size although I am sure there is a slight variance in the actual measurements. This was not something I really thought of.

3. Not mutch to hanging a storm door to a new entry door so the
$25 should be enough.

Good point. Now that I think of it, one of the other contractors was charging $50 for the storm door and the other two were at $75. So I guess the largest price difference is on the main door.

4. Is this guy a small operator in comparison with the others?
If so, maybe the big guys don't want a small job too badly. Or,
maybe this guy is relativly new and trying to get a start. It
isn't too big a project and a lot of DIY'ers do them.

They are all relatively small operators. We don't live in a huge town and he actually is from an even smaller town just a little west of us. If I remember correctly, he said he had not done any work out in our area as he had mostly been in his town. The others were local to our area and one was from the much bigger suburb to the east of us.

I did get the impression he may be starting out. While the others had business cards, he had a flyer printout with his information and services on there. There is nothing wrong with that at all but it did give me the impression that he may be starting out.

Hopefully we will be able to get some references that we can follow up with tomorrow. So far the things I have heard here are making me feel a little better about the possibility of using this contractor.

Thanks!

dt
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us