The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-got-some-work-done-from-a-quotlow-ballquot-19681743.aspx

Subject:  Re: Low-ball estimate? Date:  10/8/2003  12:00 AM
Author:  dsemmler Number:  41715 of 140322

I got some work done from a "low-ball" quoter to have the tiles and wall booard replaced and regrouted behind two shower stalls and the tile regrouted on a few others. The quote was for $ 500. I was told to expect to pay up to $1000 to do just one wall board replacement job from a tile guy at Home Depot. The guy who actually did the work didn't speak any english but he sure was a craftsman. It was far better than expected! If the company or person has been around for a while and has some good references it probably is worth a try.

Frank,

Thanks for the feedback from a similar situation. It helps ease that feeling of "you get what you pay for" as we try to do more due diligence.

Tomorrow I plan on getting some references from him and the other guy we are considering. In addition, I need to find out how long this particular person has been doing this type of work. My DW forgot to ask him that when he stopped out at the house.

Thanks again.

dt
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us