The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ltlti-believe-that-in-time-and-down-through-19683283.aspx

Subject:  Re: Repubs vs Dems Date:  10/8/2003  11:42 AM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  126706 of 882494

<<I believe that in time, and down through history, Republicans will resent W because he has effectively cost them the banner of fiscal responsibility.

It's really bad when Democrats can run under that same banner and the crowd can keep a straight face. I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime, to be honest.

I've only voted for Republican presidential candidates in the past, and if I had my 2000 vote over, I'd still vote for Bush; right person, right time. But barring some miracle, there's no way I will vote for him in 2004, his time is over.

I think there's a "silent majority" in the country that is coming to that same conclusion.

Golfwaymore
>>

Bush tax cuts are aimed at getting the economy out of recession, a problem so severe you were convinced we would have slid back into a double dip recession by this time.

The war on terrorism has been expensive. Wars frequently are. I hyappen to support that and am not going to count the change on a vital national security issue.

And on issues like the Medicare drug benefit, that is an issue Dems have been trumpeting and to which Republicans have agreed to support.

That covers the cause of most of the government deficit problem, and I think it's quite defensible, so far.

When we are definitely out of recession, that will be the time to deal with deficits.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us