The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/sounds-to-me-like-a-guy-working-to-make-a-decent-19699369.aspx

Subject:  Re: Low-ball estimate? Date:  10/12/2003  12:29 AM
Author:  dsemmler Number:  41848 of 140324

Sounds to me like a guy working to make a decent wage for himself - but without the overhead or markups of supporting a crew

exactly the kind of guy I look for, but I would check with some of his prior customers (ask him their names) and call to see if they were satisified with his work before hiring him. Reliability is everything.

We have asked him for references and left messages with them yesterday but have not yet heard back. If we do not hear from them by late Monday, then I will call again on Tuesday.

And after breaking down the price and estimated time to complete the job, I really get the feeling the other guys are inflating their price as it may be a job they don't really want. And even at the lower price from the one guy, it would appear he is still making a decent wage at those prices.

Thanks for the feedback. At this point, I think we are going to go with this guy unless the references come back with something negative to say. Although I am not sure a contractor would give out the name/number of anyone that was not pleased with their work.

dt
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us