The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/now-having-said-that-i-think-you-should-have-19710564.aspx

Subject:  Re: Investing Philosophy Date:  10/14/2003  6:38 PM
Author:  dsemmler Number:  1035 of 5341

Now, having said that, I think you should have some other reason to be using them. The above only explains how to keep the costs low if you are going to use them for some reason. Perhaps there is a sector that doesn't have a suitable mutual fund for you, perhaps you wish to "time" your market hopping (good luck - you'll need it), perhaps you don't live in the US and don't have access to some good low cost mutual funds, or perhaps like me you are a non-US citizen who wants low cost investments that they can take with them when they leave the US.

Right now I do not have any reason to be using ETFs as index funds are serving my purpose quite well. The main reason I have added ETFs to my list of research is because I have been seeing many people talk about them but I do not understand the benefit/hype of using them versus index funds. Since I do not understand, it is only prudent to learn so I can make a fully informed decision as to whether or not they should be a part of my investing plan.

The same applies for CEFs and REITs. On another board I visit, there is often mention of using CEFs to provide an income stream. This has gotten my interest but again, since I do not know anything about them I need to learn first.

Thanks for the feedback.

dt
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us