The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Current Events

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/cubs-and-armageddon-19714458.aspx

Subject:  Cubs and Armageddon Date:  10/15/2003  3:39 PM
Author:  exoracle Number:  57969 of 178805

As a life-long Cub fan, I should be emotionally well prepared to deal with the turn of events in last nights NLCS.

I will admit that I was overcome with a profound 1984esque dread before game time.

It was an accurate premonition.

I will be dealing with the ineveitable outcome by going into seclusion, beginning with the ALCS game, and continuing through the expected final humiliation in Wrigley Field this evening. During this time of introspection, I will not be e-mailing, text-messaging, posting, or taking calls. I will simply watch the inevitable denouement of this tragedy play itself out, and accept whatever meaning can be derived from an empty bottle of scotch.

In preparation for the game, I will re-read The Last Pennant before Armageddon (excerpt below) by W.P. Kinsella (the author that wrote Field of Dreams). In this short story, the coach of the Chicago Cubs is haunted by a recurring prophetic dream that if the Cubs win the Pennant, it will trigger the end of the world.

For any real Cub fan, The End of World seems a reasonable price to pay for a Pennant. Everyone else should be grateful to the fan that knocked the ball away from Moises Alou. As a result, the Cubs will lose, and the world will go on, as Armageddon is postponed indefinitely.

Oh yeah ... here is a link to a current newspaper story to justify this post as an OT Current Event.

I assume that Mark Prior was referring to the Kinsella Prophecy in his quote from SF Chronicle this morning:

"... this is the end of the world, I think we'll be all right," - Mark Prior

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/10/15/NLCS.TMP

Finally, an excerpt from: The Last Pennant before Armageddon by W.P. Kinsella:

"The sun is finally shining on Al Tiller," read a recent headline in the Trib. For the moment he was the most famous baseball manager in the nation, the man guiding the Chicago Cubs toward their first pennant in half a century; everyone wanted to talk baseball, no one gave a damn about his dreams.
He could picture himself at a news conference, pausing right in the middle of fielding questions about his pitching rotation and his left fielder's Achilles tendon, to say, "Gentlemen for the past several weeks I have been having prophetic dreams. It is my considered opinion that if the the Chicago Cubs win the National league pennant, the world is going to end. " ...
It was on the sixth night God spoke. Tiller was certain that Al Capone was one of lobbyists that evening. He had always thought of Capone as a White Sox fan. ...
"I appreciate your interest," God said. "I want to assure you that I hold the Chicago Cubs in highest esteem. I have listened to your entreaties and considered the matter carefully from all angles. I am aware of how long it has been since the Cubs have won a pennant. I think you should know that when the Cubs next win the National League Championship, it will be the last pennant before Armageddon ...."
Al Tiller assumed there was more, however that was the point at which he woke up, his sweat soaked pajamas wrapped around him like wet sheets, his heart thrumming. His last sight had been of the lobbyists leaping to their feet with joy as if their favorite player had just homered in a clutch situation.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us