The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Current Events

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-saw-at-least-7-other-hands-reaching-for-the-19719664.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cubs and Armageddon Date:  10/16/2003  2:18 PM
Author:  exoracle Number:  58016 of 178807

I saw at least 7 other hands reaching for the ball IH

I agree. In the replay, no one in the stands is showing any awareness that Moises Alou has a play on the ball, or is even that he is there. Not one. Everyone is looking up at the ball. There is no reason to expect Bartman to see something no other fan around him saw.

The real problem for the Cubs that innning was caused by the Alex Gonzalez error, which should rank right up there with the Durham and Buckner errors, but somehow has been overshadowed by Bartman's grab.

I saw this in the MLB board, and agree with the sentiment:

Dropping an easy grounder: free
Leaving your pitcher in the game even though his arm is falling off: free
Throwing a straight fastball to a fastball hitter: free
Having a fan make a mistake that really didn't cost the game but deflects all the blame: priceless

I can't cheer for the Marlins or Yankees, so I guess I'll pick up the Boston cause for as long as it lasts.

Anyway there is at least some consolation for Bartman, as he has been offered political asylum in Florida by Jeb Bush:

------------------
Resort offers goat swanky asylum
Associated Press
Oct. 16, 2003 12:00 AM

MIAMI - If he's interested, the 26-year-old Chicago fan who deflected a foul ball away from a Cubs outfielder in Game 6 of the National League Championship Series can find solace in Florida.

Gov. Jeb Bush said Wednesday an offer of asylum for Steve Bartman might be a good idea, and an oceanfront retreat in Pompano Beach is offering him a free three-month stay, should he deem it necessary to get out of Chicago until the hubbub over the pop-up cools down.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/1016fan1016.html
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us