The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / The Great Foolish North

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-came-to-canada-in-may-this-year-on-a-19798909.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Ant & the Grasshopper Date:  11/3/2003  5:55 AM
Author:  tim443 Number:  1108 of 8874

I came to Canada in May this year on a "PR" visa. I am IBM Mainframe programmer with more than 10 years of experience with more than 4 years of US experience. I am also told that without Canadian work experience I will not get work in Canada. That came as a rude shock. We are talking about software. Is not USA Mecca of software industry? I thought experience in USA would be counted as comparable to similar experience in Canada. But apparently no!

Now I am going back to India (my home country). Whose loss is it? Certainly mine because I am poorer by several thousand CDN. But also Canada's. Because I am confident that I will get a decent job in India. I will probably also get another chance to work in USA.

Bakulesh,
I share your pain, I am/was (now retired) a mainframe programmer (both IBM and Unisys, also have 5 years Oracle experience). I worked in Germany for 13 years because there simply seems to be too many programmers in Canada for the number of decent paying jobs. I returned and retired at 53 because my wife was homesick for Canada.

Good luck in India

Tim
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us