The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Foolish Elves - Acts of Kindness

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/scolly-thats-a-commendable-idea-but-i-live-in-a-19867304.aspx

Subject:  Re: idea [school christmas project] Date:  11/17/2003  7:34 PM
Author:  radicalfarmer Number:  1819 of 3131

Scolly,

That's a commendable idea but, I live in a rural area where school isn't as important as sports. The majority of kids in this area will not progress beyond high school or tech school. As a child I hated to read. It wasn't until a language arts teacher in 5th grade suggested I read the "boxcar children" series for the mystery requirement for the school reading program. After reading one in the series I began to like reading. Over the next 3 yrs I grew to love to read!!

I think we should findout what kind of reading program in the school they offer and maybe we could somehow help to promote reading with a prize. I know they had a program at the public library in the town I grew up during the summers & still do. Don't know what the prize is for the most read know but, in a low income area it might not take much.

Just my $0.02,
RF
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us