The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: IRA Eligibility? Date:  12/3/2003  6:24 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  38042 of 102705

In reading the IRA info, it appears that I must have "earned income" to contribute to my IRA's. Just to be sure, does that mean I cannot contribute to my IRA's this year?

That is correct. In simple terms, you need a W2 or a schedule C (with net income) to contribute to an IRA.

One way out - are you married? If so, and if your spouse is working, you can contribute to an IRA based on your spouse's earned income.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us