The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/im-in-the-same-boat-as-you-are-bond-funds-are-19962443.aspx

Subject:  Re: Bond fund investing - Bad Timing? Date:  12/8/2003  10:29 AM
Author:  Crazylegs883 Number:  38099 of 94977

I'm in the same boat as you are. Bond funds are under-represented in my portfolio due to my initial set-up (I follow a varient of the Coffeehouse Portfolio). However, I think now is not the time to beef it up for the reasons you mentioned.

Overall, I would say rebalancing has a net benefit: Remember, in 2000, the stocks were up and bonds were down. Re-allocation would've taken money out of stocks and put it into the bonds for the ride up these past couple years. However, we seem to be in a position now where we're 'instructed' to put more money in the 'peaking' asset - it doesn't jive. Fortunatlely, I'm fairly young so I can be more aggressive when deciding to sit this re-allocation out (at least leaving the bond fund out of the re-allocation mix) and waiting until bond funds become more favorable, interest rate-wise. Someone closer to retirement has a much more difficult choice.

Mark
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us