The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Inherited IRA Date:  1/2/2004  3:50 PM
Author:  gpalz Number:  38342 of 100959

My Mom who is 74 was listed as beneficiary from a just recent inherited IRA (her brother). The IRA lost most of its value and my mom would prefer to withdraw the money and pay the associated tax.

The current investment institution sent the following forms to fill and mail back:

IRA Asset Movement Authorization
IRA Distribution Request
Traditional IRA Adoption Agreement


New Account Form (shows name of current instituion)
Investment Acknowledgement Trade Ticket Form (shows name of current Institution)

I called and they told us we would need to fill out all five forms. They need to open an account for my Mom to tranfer the money into and from there she can withdraw the money from. Is this normal practice? Does my mom need to open an account to gain access to the funds? Neither of us are familiar with the process. Any guidance or insights would be welcomed. Thank you for your time and words.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us