The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Inherited IRA Date:  1/2/2004  5:41 PM
Author:  Watty56 Number:  38343 of 96167

Having to open another account sounds pretty normal to me since any withdrawals the old account would be reported under her brothers social security number.

You will probably also need to provide the institution with an official copy of her brother's death certificate if you haven't already. If you don't have a copy of his death certificate you can contact the funeral home that handled his burial and they either get one for you or tell you what you need to do in your state.

Your Mom may also have to show some identification and if she does not have a current drivers license or state ID card then you should check with the institution to find out what is acceptable to them.


Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us