The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Ineligible income to Roth? Date:  1/27/2004  3:41 PM
Author:  cheezyches Number:  68909 of 129421

I am currently living and working in South Africa, and only pay taxes on my income to the South African government. My wife and I will be moving back to the States in June, and I will be sure to make my 2004 tax year max contribution to our Roth IRAs (we could not contribute in 2003 because all of our earnings were foreign earned income).

I am wondering if I could make my 2004 contribution now (Jan 04), assuming that I will earn enough money from Aug to Dec. to be eligible to contribute.

My feeling is that such a move would be against the "spirit of the regulations" although perhaps not illegal based upon the way in which IRA contirbutions are accounted for (on a tax year basis).

Any advice?

cheezyches in Jozi
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us