The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Motley Fool Hidden Gems / HGS: CNS

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/tom-so-who-cares-about-the-market-in-a-20350401.aspx

Subject:  Re: time to take some short term perspective Date:  2/19/2004  6:24 AM
Author:  offramp Number:  222 of 766

Tom -

So, who cares about the market in a one-month span? Aren't we supposed to ignore the short term, and focus on the long run?

That's why it takes me so long to choose stocks. I avoid the ones that will keep me awake at night. On the same note, when I buy a stock and it proceeds to drop 20% after my purchase, I focus on the long-term. As long as nothing bad has happened to the business fundamentals, I'm prepared to ride the small-cap rollercoaster.

This, in turn, created several days of opportunity in early Feb (limited funds for investing prevented me from adding to my stake ... my personal lesson).

That was a personal lesson of mine too. I've since had the strategy of keeping a decent cash position reserved for special buying situations. And it doesn't bother me if I'm earning little or no interest -- my patience tends to pay off.

I'm not expecting gigantic annual returns from CNXS, but I am expecting it to easily beat the market over the next three years. I like the non-controversial products they make, the possibility of new products, and the potential of being acquired; thus benefitting shareholders.

--Offramp
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us