The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Medical insurance premium question Date:  2/22/2004  8:45 PM
Author:  cstrohm Number:  69980 of 127987

I'll get to the question after a little background.

Parents retired for 25 years hundred of miles away and always had taxes done by local professional. They moved back in the area about 18 months ago and father died. Mom had local professional do taxes for year when father died. She's asked me to do them this year.

She is very insistent that I know the amount of money she paid for medical insurance (Medicare Part B policy?) during 2003. She's pretty sure it will be needed to do her taxes. I use TaxCut. As I go through it, I can't find anywhere where medical insurance premiums are needed to be input.

Does a retiree's medical insurance premiums figure into federal taxes somehow? She takes standard deduction and owes no tax. (In fact she'll get back the money withheld from an IRA distribution.)


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us